Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stories of the 3/11/11 Quake

Sunday. I called my first student. It was the first time that student took my lesson. She preferred to have a free conversation, that is, talking about random things during the entire 25 minutes. I asked her what she did the day before. She told me she watched a special documentary about the earthquake which shook Japan last March 11. She said she wants to share two stories about the earthquake. One her own, the other she knew from the documentary. The former, heartwarming; the latter heartbreaking.

An act can move hearts.... (my student's story)

According to my student, she was watching the news with her husband, few days after the earthquake and in the news it said that some canned bread were being distributed to the people in evacuation sites. According to the news, those canned bread were donated by a baker/businessman. The baker and his family worked hard, day and night to make a lot of canned bread to be distributed to those greatly affected by the earthquake. The canned bread tasted good and was packed in easy-to-open cans so that the children and the elderly can easily eat it.

After watching the news, my student's husband decided to visit the company that supplies the canned bread because it's just a few blocks away from their house. When they got into the company, they had the chance to talk with the businessman's wife. According to my student, his husband donated a big amount to the company, and asked the businessman's wife to make more bread and distribute them to the victims. My student was so surprised with her husband's act. According to her, she has never seen her husband donate money, until that day. 

When it's too late to say "i love you, too"....

This must be one of saddest love stories I ever heard. My student knew about this story when she watched a documentary on TV. 

There was a woman who worked in a nursing home. When the earthquake happened, she tried to save the old people in the nursing home. She was able to save some, but unfortunately she was not able to save her life. She was found dead in the restroom together with an old woman. Her body was recovered days after the earthquake. In an interview, her husband was asked about her. The husband said that it is still difficult for him and their son to accept that she's already gone. According to the husband, they had a small argument before the earthquake happened. His wife left for work and they were not able to settle things. Few days later, when his wife had already passed away, he found a letter. A letter for him, from his wife. In the letter, the wife said, "We have been married for many years now, but my love for you hasn't changed at all."

I couldn't stop myself from crying after hearing the second story. My student started crying, too. Until now, I shed tears whenever I read or hear stories about the big earthquake in Japan. I just can't help it. 

May all those who already passed away be at peace and those who survived be able to find strength and continue living. 

2 comments:

  1. I was crying in the train, when I read 2nd story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried many times when I first heard this too, Yuki-san..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...