Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Little Thing Called Comma

A comma is a punctuation mark that we all know but not all of us can use correctly. Honestly speaking, I still get confused when and when not to use a comma. I don't forget using them, but I think I have a tendency to overuse them. I initially wanted to enumerate them here, but I decided to list useful links instead. 

I also found some funny photos online about the use of comma, so I'm putting them here. I do not own the photos. Credits to the owners. 

this is very helpful in remembering how to use a comma and period

see the difference? without a comma, it's an idiom which means, "it's raining hard".

There is what we call a SERIAL COMMA, but this is a CEREAL COMMA.

unless you really intend to eat your grandma, put a comma after "eat"

notice how a comma changes the meaning of a sentence

if you don't want to be scolded, you better learn how to use commas properly
Learning grammar can be really fun. I hope the cartoons above help you remember the importance of using a comma. 

Here are some links you can visit to learn more about the correct usage of comma:

Have fun while learning!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...