Saturday, July 30, 2011

How I Learned English

I've been working for RareJob, an online English school for three (3) years now and a lot of my students ask me how I learned English. It got me thinking. How did I really learn English?

Not that I can clearly remember but, I think English was introduced to me when I was around 2 years old. Most Filipino children learn how to say the parts of the body in English followed by counting in English, 1-10, at least. I also learned the English names of animals when I was around 3 or 4 years old.

In elementary school, I learned to read simple phrases like, "the cat", "a bed", and simple sentences like, "The cat is under the bed.". I learned basic grammar, learned to write simple essays and practiced reading stories until I was in sixth grade. I can't really say that I had enough speaking practice back in elementary. Aside from studying English as a subject, our Science and Mathematics books were also written in English which I think helped a lot in enhancing my vocabulary.

In high school, we continued studying grammar, had more writing and speaking practice. I joined the school's Speech Club. In that club, we recite declamation pieces like this. I am also into writing so I joined the school's newspaper as a contributor when I was in first year and luckily became the chief editor before graduating.Yay!! Writing in English is fun. Back in high school, I just enjoyed writing and didn't really worry so much about using extraordinary vocabularies and expressions.

Entering the university really tested my English skills. A country bumpkin, I was so nervous to talk with my classmates who grew up in the city. What's even surprising was that, they talked to me in English. I stammered a lot when I had conversations with them. Also, most of my subjects used English as a medium of instruction.  Slowly, I was able to adapt to my new environment. Got used to speaking in English and felt more comfortable using English in my conversations with friends and classmates.

In my opinion, reading English books helped me a lot to improve my English skills. Aside from my textbooks, I read novels, short stories, poems, and news.. all in English! I didn't watch so much TV shows in English, so I  am not very sure how I improved my listening skills. My passion for music must have helped. I love music and I listen to a lot of English songs.

Personally, I think being exposed to English at a young age is a factor for one to improve his fluency but that's not everything. I did not have enough chance to improve my speaking and listening skills when I was young, until high school. I would say determination is a bigger factor for you to improve your English skills.

1 comment:

  1. Upon reading this, the very first person that flashed in my mind was my grade one teacher. My precious English skill will always be dedicated to Mrs. Noli Fe Fabito Salvador. She was my declamation coach back then in my elementary school days. She was so patient in teaching me the correct pronunciation, intonation, actions and a whole lot more. I owe it a lot from her and of course with ate lea too. It's just that I figured out how vital is our foundation in basic English. Ma'am Noli, I'm no longer performing in Sawang Elem. Sch. stage but in real one and I guess I will always have enough fire to burn this stage with higher intensity. Thank you very much! Na-miss ko si mam neh... hehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...