Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sambo Mambo

I was looking for some dessert recipes online when I came across this recipe of Black Sambo. I decided to make this because I thought it's really easy. The only thing I had difficulty with was finding the gelatin powder (Knox brand). I was able to buy sachets of that brand in the supermarket before so I was dismayed when I found out that they don't retail it anymore. I should buy a box of it which contains 32 sachets which is unreasonable because I only need 4 sachets. If it weren't expensive, I would have bought a box of it but one box costs around 470 pesos. I had to look for an alternative. I was quite hesitant to use a substitute because it might ruin the recipe just like what happened to my Cathedral Windows

Again, I had to make adjustments for economic reasons. I used ingredients that are easier to find and definitely cheaper than those specified in the original recipe.

Here are the ingredients:

1 can condensed milk, 300 ml
1 can evaporated milk, 375 ml
4 envelopes gelatin powder (I used Ferna)
1 cup tap water
all purpose cream, 250 ml
1/2 cup cocoa powder (I used Ricoa)
3/4 cup white sugar

Procedure:

Make the white layer first. Dissolve 2 sachets of gelatin powder in 1/2 cup water. Cook over low to medium heat until the gelatin powder completely dissolves. Add 1 can condensed milk while stirring constantly for about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes while stirring continuously. Add the all purpose cream and mix well. Pour into the mold and allow it to set. It will take about an hour before it sets if you put it inside the refrigerator.

When the first layer has set, you are ready to make the second/chocolate layer. Mix cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl and set aside. Dissolve 2 sachets of gelatin powder in 1/2 cup water. Cook over low to medium heat until the gelatin powder completely dissolves. Add the cocoa powder and sugar mixture into the pot while stirring continuously. Add evaporated milk while stirring continuously for about 5 minutes. Pour on top of the white layer. Refrigerate.

You can garnish this with anything you want. I used sliced persimmon and chocolate chips. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...